Monday, August 9, 2010

Summer Streets

So Saturday was supposed to be an eleven mile run down summer streets and into the park. Summer Streets is this fabulous thing NYC does the first three saturdays in August. They close down Park Avenue and a route into the park (and I think a route from the park to the west side highway) and open it to bikers, walkers, runners, rollerbladers, skateboarders, scooterers and some other contraptions I could not identify. I am pretty sure there was an ATV going along and some weird bike with really long handlbars and lots of random wheels.

We (meaning TNT) started at 52nd street went down to the Brooklyn Bridge (downhill) and back up to 52nd Street (uphill). Isn't it funny how downtown goes downhill !!! Seems appropriate to me. Then past 52nd Street, into the Park and back. I was supposed to do 11.25 miles, but due to an unfortunate sock situation (I bought new socks that didn't mesh well with my orthotics) my feet were slipping around in my shoes and I was getting cramping and doing weird things with my feet to run. I stopped after ten miles. It was a great and fun run though. NYC had water stations, rollerblade rentals, they were giving out free bike helmets and my personal favorite....the dumpster pools...I am seriously thinking about heading out there next Saturday to check one out. They had pools made out of what looked like dumpsters...so creative and fun!!!

After the run, and a shower, we had a Team In Training bonding event at the Boat Basin....great way to end your training day!

No comments:

Post a Comment