So I meant to do this while I was training for the San Diego Marathon, but I started and forgot....so here is another go at it.
On June 6, 2010 I ran my first marathon, The San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon. It was one of the most overwhelming experiences of my life for many reasons. First and foremost, I did the race with Team in Training, the endurance/fundraising arm of The Luekemia and Lymphoma Society. Together my friends and family raised over $4200 for the cause!!! I have a young cousin and several family friends who are suffering from different forms of Luekemia so it made the experience even more personal. Second, I ran a FREAKING MARATHONG! I had some serious knee issues prior to the race and ran extremely injured. My younger brother stepped up and helped me through the last 7 miles, my coaches were incredible from getting me through the training to race day to being there after I finished. I made some great friends and proved to myself I could achieve almost anything.
When I was a kid I had an extremely athletic father and brother. The only sport I really excelled at was Tae Kwon Do. In fact, my parents let me stop playing soccer because I "didn't like to run!" In high school I couldn't even run the mile in less than 12 minutes. In college things changed a little. I played rugby (which started becuase of a randon act of boredom sitting in the forms) and I fell in love with running. My Rugby coach had us run three miles a day and I just got hooked, even after I stopped rugby becuase of an occipital nerve injury.
I took about four years off (2003-2007) and started again in 2007. And last month I finished my first marathon. I say first because it is definitely the first in a line of many. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment